Organize your life well and use a bullet journal. Clear, simple and in the style you want. In this article I show you how I made my bullet journal and how you can easily make one yourself.
What is a Bullet Journal?
A Bullet Journal is the perfect system to collect your appointments, tasks, plans, to-do lists etc. in one place. Nowadays we use a lot of digital apps to keep this information up to date. Yet it feels better now and again to get in the pen again and put everything on paper. That is why this system is also called ‘The analog system of the digital age’. The nice thing about a Bullet Journal is that you can customize and complete it according to your own wishes. Men may prefer a simple and sleek design, while women get creative with washi-tape and the likes. You can at least do all sides with it!
What can you note in your Bullet Journal?
As I already indicated, you can go in all directions with a Bullet Journal. You can note all sorts of things. So you obviously choose from things that fit your life! For example, think of
- Monthly goals
- Annual goals
- A wishlist
- A Bucket List
- A planner with appointments
- To-do lists
- Books that you have read this year
- A checklist
- Movies I want to watch
What do you need to start a Bullet Journal?
Actually only a nice notebook and a pen. That’s it! A child can do the laundry. As you can see, I did stick a number of other frills in my Bullet Journal. That makes it just a little more fun and happier to work with. If you do not like all those frills, that is of course not necessary. The best thing is to use a notebook with dotted paper like the notebooks from Nuuna.
What is important to keep the overview?
Index: Make sure you start with an index on the first page. As you can see, I do not have a lot here yet, because I started my Bullet Journal. As you use this longer, you will note more and more subjects and page numbers. That is why it is also useful to number the pages. I do this myself at the bottom of the corner, just like in a book.
- Keys: This is extremely useful. You can actually see this as a kind of legend. So you can create a different icon for different activities and you get a nice and clear overview.
- A monthly overview: Here you can write a global overview of monthly events and activities. I myself have chosen not to do this very extensively, because I generally do not have many birthdays and other events on the schedule. At least not a month in advance.
- A day planner: As you can see, I have also highlighted the days separately. I find this very useful, because you get a good picture of what has to happen that day. Because I work full-time and almost full-time with my own blog, it is important to keep a good schedule. Otherwise I want to become chaotic sometimes and this gives me a lot more rest.
In my Bullet Journal I have chosen to also make a checklist with all the things that I want to take with me on a trip. Very handy. I did this in a quiet time. A few days later I packed my bags. Now I am sure that I will not forget anything! I also intend to keep track of which series I have already seen, which I want to see and which books I have read. In the course of time, much more will be added.
Use a bullet journal with squares or dots when creating. This makes it easier to create the check boxes, and you have enough rules on a page to write out an entire month.